Monday, July 18, 2016

Carving, carving, carving... {SPOILERS}

Ahoy!  I've been having a great, but busy, summer so far and I'm really looking forward to the end of August because I've got some time off and am doing a staycation.  Need to get out there and do some letterboxing during that time,  methinks ;)

One of the things I've been working on is helping Bon Echo with some stamps for Box ON! Stoney Creek. {You should come!  For anyone reading this who doesn't know where Stoney Creek is, it's just a short drive from the US border if anyone wanted to make the trek}  And one of the stamps I just finished is the event stamp...  Read on if you don't mind being spoiled ;)





I'm loving the hard-type Seed material so much, I decided to just carve a whole block of it for the event stamp.  If you're coming, make sure you have adequate space in your log book!

Here is just a slice of what it looks like and what it stamps like.  Did you really think I'd spoil the whole image?  Why, cuz I did it before?  No worries, this time it's not my event, so I'm happy to just tease it.

The carving material has this light pink-ish layer on top of a gorgeous chocolate colour with was lovely to carve.  Because of the pinkish layer, the design shows in the stamp before you even ink it up, but slightly blurry because the pink is thicker.  But when it stamps?  It comes out great.

I was at a bit of a loss to come up with an image for the stamp, and that honestly took me 4-5 times longer than it did for me to carve.  I decided on something that was more related to letterboxing, and I'm happy with how it turned out.

Next, I'm off to start carving some of the stamps to fill in series, help Bon Echo out.  If you're interested in donating some stamps, he's got a tracker up and would welcome any donations :)

I'm getting excited to see everyone at the event this year!

Happy trails!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Atom,
    An fyi, when I go to 'subscribe' at the bottom of the page, I get a bunch of code.
    Finally, I found a blog about letterboxing that is current and hasn't been abandoned years ago, like most of them I find. I've gone back to your posts in 2013 and found them helpful. I'm not new to letterboxing, but new to carving.
    Also, loved your blog about CHAT for making comments on the letterbox log book. Great idea!
    Thanks for your work in keeping this blog up and current. I'm starting a letterboxing group with my women's club and I will definitely tell them about your blog as we can all learn alot from your posts. Thanks again. ~Fins to the Left

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fins to the Left :)

      "Atom" refers to the post style of RSS feed you can subscribe to which will give you code unless you put it into an RSS reader.

      Have fun with your new letterboxing group :)

      Cheers,
      Bumble

      Delete