Thursday, November 8, 2012

Letterboxing critical mass


Warning: the following was written by a stressed, morose, and overtired Bumble.

Sometimes, not always, but sometimes I worry about the future of letterboxing in Ontario.  I've been boxing for a little over two years now and have a pretty good idea about who's out there and actively letterboxing.  And those are some tiny numbers for such a vast geographic area.

Last year while I was actively planting on a regular basis, I was accordingly also receiving box find emails through AQ on a regular basis.  This year, that has significantly dwindled.  Which is to be expected; most "local" (read: Ontario, huge) boxers have found most of my boxes.  The ones that have few finders will continue to only have a few finders for whatever reason.  Others get a lot of traffic from letterboxers just passing through - and actually my first letterbox is great for this because the location is nice and close to the nearest highway.

This year, it would seem that there was a spurt of boxes planted by new boxers out in Jigg & Kenlaur territory.  And then a longer spurt out  in Viking & Starhexen territory. New boxer in Ajax, planting away as well. But nada in Toronto where the greatest number of people live.

So the concerning equation is such: no new boxers = no new finds.  Also no new letterboxes by new boxers.  I know I can rely upon our community to continue planting, and so will I, but on some level isn't that a disincentive to continue letterboxing?  That the same letterboxers are planting the same style boxes all the time? Maybe disincentive is too strong, but for the casual letterboxer, is not boredom the enemy?

Is letterboxing growing or dying here? I worry that all it would take is a few key players out of this game for it to fizzle out in short order.  But is decline inevitable anyway?  How many boxers does the hobby need here for it to be self-sustaining?  What is the critical mass? For those who've been boxing here longer than me, are you seeing trends?  I loathe to think that there needs to be an active recruitment of boxers in Ontario; however, will the hobby die out without it?

And so, how did Jiggs and Lone R (who I understand were pretty much the first Ontarian boxers) continue with the hobby in the face of a dearth of knowledge about it here? Were their first plants more like throwing a message in a bottle in the St. Lawrence - full of hope that in the theoretic future someone in Ireland would find their note?  Was it truly just that speculative?  What a defiant act of hope...

And really, I should have nothing to complain about.  I have an established, if small, friendly and engaged community of boxers who are sure to entice others to the game.  There are plenty of boxes by foreboxers out there for me to find still, there is plenty of boxing to do just across the border, and I can be just as hopeful about the future of letterboxing as the others.  Time to plant some more boxes and stop whining.  I mean, it could be worse: I could be in Nunavut.

10 comments:

  1. I've been at it six years, and there is ebb and flow, waxing and waning. Lone R and I plant boxes for each other a couple of times a year, knowing full well we won't have a rush of other finders, but rather a trickle.

    This year has been unusually slow for finders. The summer was very hot, October was very wet, and now November is very cold. I know I have over twenty boxes (!) waiting for me in KW. Vivian the Viking is dying to have a few finders. I have one I put out a few weeks ago that's still waiting for a first finder.

    Local boxing is no longer my bread and butter. I have to travel most of the time, and that's okay. I would like to see another half dozen active planters in the province. That's probably all it would take.

    Fiddleheads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's just it: local boxing is not your bread and butter. But you're one of the dedicated who is willing to drive outta town every so often to get your fix.

      Ah, I'm just whining. Ignore me. I'm just jealous of those places across the border where it would take a few years of solid, dedicated boxing before you would have the same comment about bread and butter...

      Delete
  2. I understand where you are coming from. I have also been boxing for 2 years and we have a low number of boxers right now. It seems to me, while looking in the AQ logbooks, that people around here are very active for 2-5 years and then they quit. Then someone else will some along and be very faithful for 2-5 years and quit. A few others will start up during that time but not last for very long at all.
    I have found/attempted almost all of the boxes in my city so I have started making LTCs but I think I may have taken on too much too soon. I am a little burnt out on them. Or seems like they take forever to come back :(
    Well, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I'm here in the southwest corner of Indiana and I have the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christmas6! Sorry that you're in the same boat as us. I guess what I could say to you - that you should say to me - is keep going! Never give up! :)

      And I promise if I'm ever down your way, I'll hunt your boxes and leave some of my own.

      Delete
  3. Fiddleheads--- I am DYING for you to find my letterboxes.. haha. I have been discouraged lately also because of the lack of finds. I am hoping that hosting box-on will get some action flowing in KW. I have had an interesting summer because of a few new boxers in my area who have been VERY active in getting boxes out there and that enthusiasm wears off on me. I don`t know about other people but I know that after a meet up or even talking with another active letterboxer ( yes bumble.... you are in my thoughts with this comment) I feel rejuvenated and start to plant more than I probably would have otherwise. I look at letterboxing a bit differently in terms of signatures. I find that each box is unique and I end up really enjoying the little things about letterboxing and making it a true adventure. I guess it is about finding the box, and seeing a good stamp makes me excited but I also like looking around wherever the box brings me. The social aspect I guess. I don't really notice signatures or expectations as to what I am walking into. In fact I purposely try and walk into a letterbox with the least amount of information, so not to ruin the surprise. I have had the chance to do some really great boxes this year across Ontario and feel privileged to be in the mix with such a rich group of excellent people and letterboxers.... Perhaps another Toronto Star article will help to buff things up. Chin up, and get your ass to KW.....!
    Vivian the Viking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Ms. Viking - I'm glad I'm not the only one who is disappointed this year, but it's certainly not disappointment with our current roster of letterboxers! I'll have to try to figure out some time to get out your way... unfortunately, I don't think it will be in 2012.

      Delete
  4. I'm trying Bumble...honest to goodness I am :)
    Yesterday I planted 3 in Kitchener and found 4 in the Guelph area - that means I actually touched 7 in one day!
    If only I was independently wealthy and could do nothing but letterboxing...that'd be cool (especially the wealthy part).

    Sillychick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sillychick - don't be silly! You don't need to *try* - you ladies are already rocking that side of the GTA. You're an all star! I really do appreciate all the planting you've been doing - I just need to figure out a way to get out there for some serious letterboxing :)

      Delete
    2. All you awesome letterboxers are what inspire us to get creative and get out there.

      If not for the courage of the fearless crew, the Minnow would be lost.

      Hmmm...new stamp idea in there I think :)

      Sillychick

      Delete
  5. I think VtV might have it right....time for another newspaper article.

    As you know I've been letterboxing since 2002. I think my longevity stems from being an avid scavenger game player. I mix it up with geocaching and now a little munzeeing. So there's always a hunt to be had. I enjoy being creative with my letterbox, geocache, munzee hides - the creativity keeps me interested. Plus I post at least half of my LBs on geocaching.com that way I'm getting visitors on a regular basis and comments. I believe Jiggs ventured into the geocaching world as well but don't know how avid he is and whether that sustains him through the letterboxing dry spells. Kenlaur and RickontheRange play all 3 games which seems to sustain their interest in all 3.

    My experience this year is that the quality of letterboxes in Ontario has steadily increased. You all plant some amazing boxes with gorgeous stamps in nice locations. I'd have a really hard time giving up those stamps that you place in the wild. And it doesn't stop at the stamp, the logbooks are have been a lot of fun to find too. So I'm glad we're still planting even though the numbers of finders is stagnant at the moment.

    Part of the reason for the decreased activity may be that the weather is cold and it's dark out. Come spring there may be revitalized activity. AQ stats: http://www.atlasquest.com/aboutus/stats/finds.html?gTypeId=traditional shows the winter months to be the slowest months of the year.

    Lone R

    ReplyDelete