Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Spooky Hallowe'en movies to carve by: part IV


Whew. Right now, I'm in Key West with my band for Fantasy Fest.  It's not really all that Hallowe'eny in Florida, but I should have a great Hallowe'en with a suntan, right? 

So this is the last full set before the Hallowe'en edition of this series of posts... Get your gouges or saws ready, here are this week's flicks:

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Honestly, I think this is the perfect date movie.  With the well-documented British humour, Shaun has to deal with a both the tedium of a mundane life when contrasted with a zombie apocolypse.  Hilarious and perfect for watching while carving.

Vacant, with a hint of sadness. Like a drunk who's lost a bet.



Arachnophobia  (1990)

I had to look twice when I saw that this movie came out in 1990 - it seems to me to be more recent than that, but time is tricking me, I guess.

Anyways, the movie is actually quite predictable: family moves to the country-side where an invasive species of very poisonous spiders are proliferating and spiders are scary.  The last part is key.

While I'm on it, just about every letterboxing adventure I go on seems to be a scene out of this movie.  *shudder*

I love John Goodman in just about everything, and as the exterminator called in to deal with the alleged arachnids, he plays the perfect comic relief for this flick.

Warning: if you watch the following clip from the movie, it is possible you will never be able to shower again.  You are warned.




Zombieland (2009)

If you didn't know, zombies are very fashionable right now.  From zombies in movies and video games to the big zombie walks, I'm a little zombied out.

This fantastic comedy puts the spark back in for me.  I love the entire cast, the comedy is spot on, and the feel of the show is very Hallowe'en to me.



Sleepy Hollow (1999)

The mood in this Tim Burton flick is perfect for the holiday.  I love the expanded story of  the legend of sleepy hollow.  Damp, dark, and foggy, this movie sets the stage nicely for a haunting good time for the holiday.



The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

What would happen if Jack Nickolson was the devil?  And what would happen if Cher, Susan Sarandon, and Michelle Pfeiffer happened to be witches?

This movie is fantastic, my favourite character is Felicia, the bible thumper, who has has an unfortunate cherry incident (note: I will not eat cherries because of this movie).  She's over the top and I think she actually gets the best part in the movie.



Wow, this movie is almost 20 years old, and they are still merchandising the hell out of it.  You can't go anywhere without seeing someone with a Jack Skellington purse or phone cover (*cough*cuzit'dbeme*cough*).  This movie is a classic for a reason, the story, the animation, the music, the legacy... You really can't beat this film as a pick for your Hallowe'en night movie...



Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

Now here is another classic.  There is a reason that adults still dress up as Magenta or Frank N Furter and go out into the mean streets of the city to go see this on the big screen and sing along...  One of those perfect Hallowe'en movies, Tim Curry is a god.


 

1 comment: